Thursday, August 5, 2010

Laborin Named New Girls Volleyball Coach At Socorro

By John Severance

SOCORRO – New Socorro girls volleyball coach Melissa Laborin has been in town for three weeks and could not be happier with the welcome she has received.
“It’s been very welcoming,” Laborin said Tuesday. “They have welcomed me with open arms and it is very familyish. Everybody helps everybody out.”
And she likes what she sees from her Lady Warriors, who recently went to Truth or Consequences for an informal scrimmage.
“There were supposed to be eight teams there but it was just us and T or C,” she said. “We played eight games and my girls dominated and that’s a good thing.”
Laborin was all set to begin her fourth season as head coach at Valley Union High School in Elfrida, a Class A team near Douglas, Ariz.
“It would have been my fourth year and I built the program up. All the freshmen were going to be seniors but my teaching position was not secure in Arizona,” said Laborin, whose brother Louie is an assistant football coach at Socorro High.
“What brought me here was a teaching job.”
Laborin will work at Socorro High in a “Gear Up” position, which focuses on juniors and helps them out to different colleges or post-secondary opportunities.
Laborin was in Animas up until her sophomore year but her parents moved to Douglas for her junior and senior year of high school. Laborin received a volleyball scholarship to attend Cochise College.
”I finished out and got into coaching,” she said.
The first official practice for the Lady Warriors will be Aug. 9 and Laborin said tryouts will be held then.
Socorro opens its season on Aug. 20 at the Magdalena Invitational.
And what are Laborin’s expectations?
“They are very high,” Laborin said. “I’ve gotten to know the girls and I have been working with them for three weeks. My expectations can met easily.
“They work hard. They are coachable. Good things can happen.”
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment