Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome Return, Congrats, Fire Department Elections

Luna News
By Kaye Mindar

Being blessed enough to be given back the opportunity to write again is more than I can describe. Life had been squashing me like a cider press for a while and I sadly missed the last printed issue’s deadline for my column. Then at 8:30 pm opening my email, I was given the shocking, sad and terrible news that the Mountain Mail would be no more unless there was nothing short of a miracle to revive it.
To be sitting here preparing a column for submission again is my miracle and for that I am truly grateful. I am appreciative for all who asked what I would do now knowing I loved my job. And then tell me that they too would miss our little corner inside this small town article. In my world, if I don’t laugh I cry; so I would joke that I would probably have to find comfort in walking around the house in fuzzy slippers eating chocolate having my mid-life crisis. Thankfully God had other plans and actually my last couple of weeks has gone by quickly with major events taking place in my life and the time to enjoy why we live in Luna; rainstorms, small outdoor trips and time camping with extended family and friends who really care about me and I genuinely thank you all.
I thank the new owner of the Mountain Mail for personal contact asking me to continue my column and here is our wish for many more years to come bringing you the last of a vanishing art in small town news from our little corner of the world of the Luna Valley.
New Baby
Katy Mindar and Chris Anderson welcomed Oscar Elliot Anderson into the world in Portland, Ore., on September 11. This makes four grandchildren for Dan and me and our first grandson whom we have been able to visit and of course fall head over heels in love with this past week at their home in Portland.
Congratulations
Just as fun to announce as new babies are weddings and we congratulate Laci Thompson and Tanner Malherbe on their recent nuptials. Judging from the bachelorette party in Vegas, Mother Pam Thompson’s “Thanks” to family and friends and great photos, it was a wonderful event for Stan and Pam celebrating the marriage of their youngest daughter.
Lunatic Stitchers
The Annual Lunatic Stitchers quilt was raffled after Labor Day and the lucky winner was our own Carolyn Sawyer of Luna. Of Course the quilt is an absolute treasure and part of the proceeds go directly back into the Luna Community Center where the Stitchers meet weekly to work on their personal projects through the year. Not just sewing takes place each week with the Stitchers, Susan Ley brings her talents in painting to the group and recently had the perfect opportunity to travel with an extended art group to Escudilla to paint the wonderful fall colors of the mountain choosing the most perfect day enjoying blue skies and the vivid colors of the changing aspen trees.
New Town Officials
The Luna Volunteer Fire Department held elections and have nominated the following officials to lead our department into the new term under many county changes taking place that will build a stronger department. We welcome Charles Moyers: Fire Chief; Eugene Snyder: Assistant Chief; Raean Harris: Secretary; Susan Ley: Assistant Secretary; and Daniel Harris: Training Officer. Trainings are held the first Saturday of each month at 9 a.m. and business meetings are held on the Third Thursday each month.
Our Luna Community Center also held elections for their upcoming term assignments with seven board members being elected by community members into positions of specific duties. Alberta Nicolds will maintain her position as chairman. If there are any needs or concerns please contact Alberta. Community Center meetings are held the second Thursday of each month.
Genealogy Corner
We all own at least one family photo that has been passed down from generation to generation, that we stare at and ask the people in the photo, “Who are you?” while we are digging for clues we look for help in solving the mysteries that haunt our collection of old portraits and indefinable places. First look closely; what do the clothes your relatives are wearing indicate about the span of years or the country in which they lived illustrate to us? What about the photo itself, the coloring and the material used, say about the photo? Remember you are far from alone as the Internet has pages of blogs free and with subscriptions. There is also deadfred.com which is always changing and posting new photos and clues. Take the time to discover; the world is literally at your fingertips.
Quote of the Week
“A word to the wise isn’t necessary - it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”
– Bill Cosby

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment