Thursday, May 13, 2010

Unoccupied Magdalena House Burns

By John Larson

MAGDALENA - A house at 102 North Oak Street in Magdalena burned to the ground in the early morning hours of Monday, May 10. Fire Chief Arthur Rauschenberg told the Mountain Mail he and three Magdalena volunteer firefighters answered the call, as well as six firemen from Hop Canyon Fire Department.
The house, the former residence of Carlotta Salome, was owned by local businessman Nick Innerbichler and used for storage and office space. It was unoccupied at the time.
Rauschenberg said truck drivers from Arizona passing through noticed the flames and reported the fire.
“When I got the call I went outside and could see the fire from my place,” Rauschenberg said. “When I drove by the fire I saw it was totally engulfed. I went straight to the Fire Department for equipment and trucks.”
Marshal Larry Cearley said he received the call at 1:15 a.m.
“Once I arrived there, I drove by the fire I saw it was totally engulfed. I went straight to the Fire Department for equipment and trucks.”
Marshal Larry Cearley said he received the call at 1:15 a.m.
“Once I arrived there I found an empty fire truck with the red lights on and the driver’s door open,” Cearley said. “I waited about five to seven minutes and became worried that a fireman had ran into the building and got caught in the fire.”
Rauschenberg then drove up in another truck. Also responding to the fire was Magdalena fireman Justin Cearley and Tylor Chavez.
The truck driver stayed to lend assistance for the three hours, he said.
Cearley said the roadway was blocked from traffic with the help of Armand Romano.
“I connected to the hydrant and then to the pumper truck at the fire. As more people arrived, I directed them to charged hoses for the fire,” Cearley said. “After Hop Canyon arrived they set up their truck to run in series for water to a third truck inside the property.”
Cearley started the third truck for citizens who were helping with the fire, and then went to Highway 60 where he directed highway traffic with the help from Socorro County Deputy Larry Smith.
Hop Canyon Volunteer Fire Department brought six firemen and two rehab volunteers, thanks to a Joint Powers Agreement with Magdalena, Chief Bill del Guidice said.
“I want to commend Larry, Justin, and Tylor, who all did everything they could do,” Rauschenberg said. “And I can’t thank Hop Canyon enough for their assistance.”
Rauschenberg, himself, was overcome by smoke and had to be taken to Socorro General Hospital.
The cause of the blaze has not been officially determined, and is under investigation by the state Fire Marshal.
“What’s suspicious is that it started in the middle of a room in the front where nothing could start a fire. No electricity, no gas, no nothing,” Rauschenberg said.
According to Marshal Cearley, the fire investigator was on the scene Monday and Tuesday.
“That’s pretty standard when there’s a fire,” Cearley said.
He said Innerbichler lost everything stored in the house, including suits valued at $10,000, Navajo rugs valued at $12,000, weapons, and Indian jewelry.
The fire was battled for about seven hours, Cearley said.

Top photo by John Larson
Bottom photo courtesy Magdalena Marshal Larry Cearley

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment