Thursday, July 15, 2010

Magdalena’s Fire Chief, Deputy Resign Posts

By John Larson

MAGDALENA – Mayor Sandy Julian announced the resignation of two village officials at Monday night’s Board of Trustees meeting.
Volunteer Fire Chief Art Rauschenberg turned in his resignation Tuesday, July 6. Julian named Donna Dawson as interim fire chief.
Deputy Marshal Ed Sweeney also submitted his resignation. A second deputy, Brad Welton, also turned in his notice. Saturday was his last day on the job.
“When I got the letter of resignation from Ed Sweeney, I said I will not accept it. But I will have to. We’re losing a very good officer and I am sorry,” Julian said. “I did not ask for his resignation. For either Ed or Brad. It hurts me to lose good officers. I accept this with a very heavy heart.”
Each of the four trustees expressed their appreciation for Sweeney’s job performance.
“With deep regret we let you go,” Trustee Barbara Baca said.
“It’s just too bad that we can’t keep people around,” Trustee Tommy Torres said.
Sweeney said his tenure as deputy was a satisfying experience.
“I had other people come up to and express their appreciation,” Sweeney said. “When I look back on my life this will be one of my best experiences. And Mayor, you did not push me out.”
He said he’s not moving away, and will still “be around.”
Julian said she was aware of rumors in the village that she was “cleaning house.”
“It’s not true that this new administration came in and started getting rid of people. Not true,” she said. “I accept this with a heavy heart.”
Trustee Diane Allen indicated she had heard various rumors about why people were resigning.
“To me it is very, very curious about the talk and rumors around town,” Allen said. “It’s hard to see what [they] believed to be true.”
Sweeney will keep his position as Emergency Services Coordinator.
Julian reported that she would be having an informal meeting with a potential candidate for the deputy’s position.
“Thursday I’ll be meeting with someone. It will be strictly informal. I want a lady police officer. She is from Tome and has a very good resume. I just want to find out things about her. I will interview her and feel her out,” Julian said. “I will report to the board what Larry and I will be doing.
“We won’t be getting Manuel [Monte] back from the academy until late August,” she said.
In other business:
• The board began the process for requesting funding in the 2011-2012 Infrastructure Capital Improvement Plan (ICIP). “It’s like our wish-list for village improvements,” Clerk Rita Broaddus said. “The money comes from either the state, in the form of legislative grants, or the federal government, through Community Development Block Grants (CDBG).” The board decided that the top priority was $180,000 for water system telemetry and completion of a back-up well, the so-called Trujillo Well #2. The second most important need was $285,000 for improvements to the community center and development of a recreation facility center for the village’s youth. The third priority was $100,000 to add a 20’ x 20’ meeting room to the Magdalena Area Medical Center. The paving of South Main Street was moved to the 2013 funding request. Broaddus said another public hearing will be held on the ICIP. “If anyone has other ideas for the list, they can come and discuss it during the public hearing,” Broaddus said. “Nothing is written in stone at this point.”
• A workshop to discuss formation and operation of a Youth Council was scheduled for 9 a.m., Saturday, July 31.
• Julian reported that the “asphalt plant” at the rodeo grounds will remain there for one more month.
• The board approved the naming of Julian to be Magdalena’s voting delegate at the New Mexico Municipal League’s Annual Conference in Santa Fe, Sept. 2.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. were just as strong in my heart and mind as they were back in 1965. Thank God for people who are thsbobetoughtful enough and work hard to grow everything and mibcbetake the Farmer’s Market and other local events something we can all enjoy. And thank God for all of those wonderful earth grown goodies for us to buy and cook up back at the house.

    ReplyDelete