Wednesday, November 25, 2009

EDITORIAL: Support Your Warriors Saturday Afternoon

By John Severance, Editor


Nothing unites a community like a high school football team playing in the state playoffs. And you know it’s a big game when you are playing on Thanksgiving weekend.
I have only been here for about a month, but I can tell the community of Socorro does need not any help in supporting its Warriors.
So when Socorro takes the field at 1 p.m. Saturday against Raton in the Class AAA state semifinals at Warrior Stadium, go to the game, have fun and root on your team.
Declamation proclamation
I had the pleasure of attending the declamation by Socorro elementary school students last week.
I have nothing but admiration for those children who spent probably countless hours memorizing those poems and then reciting them without any cue cards in front of a big audience.
The top three finishers in four different categories – humorous prose and poetry, and serious prose and poetry – will compete with the winners from Magdalena on Dec. 3 at the Consolidated Schools Central Office in Socorro.
Happy Turkey Day
I’ll be the first to admit that it has been a rough year. I found out firsthand what it was like to be unemployed after spending more than 25 years in the newspaper experience on the East Coast.
In a way, the break was good because I was able to clear my head and figure out what I wanted to do with my life.
But it also was completely stressful and I am sure there are some of you out there who know what I am talking about.
So the first thank you has to go to Gary for giving me a job.
I would like to send out Thanksgiving wishes to all of our devoted readers and advertisers. Without you, there would not be a Mountain Mail. Best wishes also go out to my colleagues here and my hard-working contributors out in Catron County. A special thanks go out to my longtime girlfriend Jill in Santa Fe, my dad and stepmom in Maine, my sister in Baltimore and the Nances out at the Field Ranch.
Happy Thanksgiving.
John Severance can be reached at 575 838-5555 or you can email him at mountainmaileditor@yahoo.com
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment