Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lady Warriors’ Lone Senior, Jessica Pound, Will Play For All-South


By Polo C’ de Baca
For the Mountain Mail

SOCORRO – Jessica Pound will represent the Lady Warriors in the Class 3A North-South All-Star basketball game Friday, July 10, at New Mexico Highlands University.
Pound, the lone girls’ basketball player graduating from Socorro High this year, played varsity basketball for three years.
Socorro coach Joseph Garcia said Pound’s role for the Lady Warriors changed as the team developed and new players joined the group. As a freshman, she was the go-to girl in the post. As a junior, she set a record for blocked shots.
“When I think of Jessica, I think of her as the ultimate team player,” Garcia said. “She would do anything, not for her own recognition, just for the betterment of the team. She was a good defensive player and a good rebounder for us.”
Garcia said he has no doubts that Pound will represent Socorro well against the North and will likely be called upon to guard Jackie Bartleson of Pojoaque. The Elkettes won the Class 3A state tournament this past season (in large part because of Bartleson’s presence), and they will have three girls in the all-star game.
“It is quite an honor,” Pound said. “I did not think I’d be there, but I think it will be quite the experience. I’m really excited about it. I’ll be playing with girls I’ve played against all my life. It will be quite a rush.”
Pound said she hasn’t been playing much basketball this summer, but has been running to stay in condition for the game in Las Vegas. She will attend New Mexico State University this fall and is considering a career in social work.
“I’d like to do that,” Pound said. “Get my master’s (social work). Then I hope I can participate in a student exchange program.”
Pound also is hoping to play some college volleyball.
Garcia praised Pound for her dedication and unselfishness. Pound has been working in Las Cruces this summer and took a week off from work to represent her home town.
“It just shows the kind of girl Jessica is,” Garcia said. “I’m sure she’ll do fine. For me, it’s an honor that she was selected.”
Pound is a native of Socorro and her parents are Primo and Veronica Pound.
“All I can say about her are good things,” Garcia said. “She never missed practice. She always worked hard in practice and never complained. I’m going to miss her as a person and as a player, but mostly as a person.”

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment