Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lawrence Baca To Coach Socorro Boys’ Basketball

By Polo C’ de Baca
For the Mountain Mail

Socorro native Lawrence Baca will be the new coach for the Warrior basketball team. Baca has assisted the head coaches of the program for the past seven years, and he has been an employee of the Socorro Consolidated School District for the past nine years.
Baca said he had just learned of his appointment at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday from Socorro Athletic Director Charlie Savedra and Superintendant Cheryl Wilson.
“I’m excited for the opportunity,” Baca said. “This is something I’ve always wanted to do, and I think I’ll be good for the program. We’ve got some great kids here. We’ve got some great kids coming back.”
Baca said it wasn’t a complete surprise to him. He had applied for the job and was hopeful that he would be chosen.
“I know what comes with the job,” Baca said. “I’ve been involved with coaching not just in basketball, but in football and baseball. I’m here for the long run. That’s a big plus for me and for the program. I think that’s what the program needed, was a sense of stability.”
Last year’s coach, Hamilton Doyle, was only at Socorro for one year. Before that, Dominic Romero, who now coaches at Valencia High School, was with Socorro for four years.
It’s kind of rough on the program,” Baca said. “Like I said, I’m here for the long run.”
Baca’s demeanor of responsibility gives a people around him a sense that he loves Socorro, and he loves what he does. He is more than familiar with the system, the students and players he will work with.
“Not only do I know these kids, but I know these kids’ families,” Baca said. “I’ve known these kids since they were little.”
Socorro will be in the same district as Silver City starting in the 2010-11 school year. Baca said that the district in which he played in high school included Silver, so he feels comfortable with the added competition in the district.
“It will be good for the district and will make it that much more competitive, so I’m really excited about it,” Baca said.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment