Thursday, December 2, 2010

Socorro To Get Fed Money

Mountain Mail Reports

Federal disaster aid totaling $355,313, to date, is on its way to Socorro County and four other New Mexico counties that suffered damages from summer flooding, according to officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Managemen.
President Obama issued a major disaster declaration on Sept. 13 for the July 25 to Aug. 9 flooding, designating Public Assistance (PA) funding for Socorro, Cibola, McKinley, Mora, and San Juan Counties.
“These federal disaster funds will help applicants in these counties to recoup costs from the severe storms and flooding,” FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Sandy Coachman said.
Under the FEMA PA program, supplemental financial assistance is provided to the state, its agencies, local and tribal governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations for its eligible response and recovery expenses.
FEMA dollars were awarded to New Mexico communities through a cost-sharing partnership. FEMA reimburses applicants 75 percent of their eligible costs; the state and applicants share the remaining 25 percent burden.
FEMA obligates federal PA funds directly to the state, which disburses the money to the local jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment