Thursday, July 8, 2010

Two Charged In Convenience Store Robbery

By John Larson

SOCORRO – The man and his accomplice who robbed the Pump ‘n Save gas station of $200 in cash Thursday, July 1, were arraigned in Magistrate Court last Friday.
Joseph Chavez, 44, of Albuquerque was charged with robbery, aggravated battery, conspiracy, and two counts of resisting arrest.
Eileen Vargas, 42, of Socorro was charged with robbery and conspiracy.
According to the criminal complaint, Chavez was at the Pump ‘n Save on South California at about 4:20 p.m., and told the clerk at knife point, “sorry but I need the money in the drawer,” and “I don’t want to hurt you.”
The clerk stated she was ringing up items Chavez had placed on the counter when he went around to the open portion of the counter brandishing the knife.
She told police she thought the knife had a four inch blade, which Chavez pressed against her, pushing her away to get at some cigarettes behind the counter.
He also stole some candy, and a Coke.
Chavez put the money and items into a (stolen) Styrofoam ice chest and ran out of the store. He got into a white Dodge extended cab driven by Vargas, and was seen by two customers to drive north on Sixth Street.
In the complaint, officer Kenneth Greenwood stated that State Police, Sheriff’s Department and city police were notified of the armed robbery and to be on the lookout for the pickup.
Chief Deputy Sheriff Shorty Vaiza said he was returning from a call in Veguita on Interstate 25 when he received the description of the vehicle.
“After they gave me more information on the truck, I realized I knew the truck and the driver,” Vaiza said. “I had it pulled over about an hour earlier for driving erratically on I-25 southbound. I met with the driver and recognized her as a local woman, Eileen Vargas of Socorro.”
Vaiza said after speaking with the woman and making sure she was fine, “I let her go.”
“An hour later I was looking for the same pickup, and saw it heading north at about 4:40.
“It no longer had a license plate,” he said. “I gave pursuit and it eventually pulled over into the Walking Sands Rest Area.”
Vaiza said he unholstered his weapon and ordered the driver to throw the keys out of the vehicle.
“I could see the male passenger fight with her to keep her from throwing the keys out, but she eventually did,” he said. “Then Joseph Chavez gets out on the passenger side and he’s got money in his hands and starts throwing the money at me. When I saw he had no weapon I holstered my weapon. Then he rushes me, and we get into a little scuffle.”
Vaiza was able to subdue Chavez, who backed into a cable bordering the parking area, and a bystander at the rest stop helped hold Chavez’s arm on the ground while he was handcuffed.
“He was a great help and I appreciated the assistance,” he said. “Other people helped pick up the money that was blowing around.”
Chavez, Vargas, and another passenger, Erica Vargas, were transported to the Socorro Police Department, where Chavez was questioned by Detective Richard Lopez.
Greenwood, in the criminal complaint, said while he was working on paperwork, “I heard what sounded like a struggle coming from Sgt. Lopez’s office.
“I entered [the office] and observed Sgt. Lopez in a struggle with Joseph. I removed my duty issued Taser and drive stunned Joseph in the middle of his back to gain compliance.”
Chavez was incarcerated after being cleared at Socorro General Hospital, along with Eileen Vargas. Erica Chavez was not charged.
“Erica stated she told her mother Eileen to stop the vehicle because Joseph has just robbed the store,” the complaint said. “[She] stated both Eileen and Joseph told her not to worry, that they would not get caught.”
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment