Thursday, February 18, 2010

‘Everybody Has A Story’ Including Dora


By John Severance

SOCORRO -- Dora Lucero has a pretty simple philosophy when it comes to her job.
For 40 years, she has worked at the El Camino Restaurant on North California St. She can be found from 5 p.m. until close during the week at the El Matador Lounge, serving drinks to locals and tourists alike.
“I like the people. I love to talk to people,” Lucero said. “I ask them why they are in Socorro and all kinds of questions. Everybody has a story. And I like to make them feel like they are home.
“Personality has a lot to do with it. Without personality, you don’t have what it takes to be a bartender or a waitress. I get to hear all the married gossip. I know all the stuff that is going around town.”
And what does she remember about her first day?
“They just threw me in there,” Dora laughed. “The first drink I ever made was a margarita.”
Lucero is known for her margaritas.
She was honored in 2000 for making the best margarita and for being the best bartender. Lucero, who also worked as manager of the El Camino for 25 years, also has a simple philosophy to the bar.
“I run it like its my own place,” Lucero said. “This is the way I want the bar to be run.”
Lucero, 64, says she is blessed with tremendous amounts of energy. Besides her five nights a week, Lucero also works at Socorro Leather three days a week.
She works Monday through Friday night at the El Matador.
For 25 years, she worked in the school cafeterias before retiring six years ago.
“I started off as the ticket lady, then the salad bar lady and then I became supervisor,” she said. “I would get up at 6, work at the cafeteria. I would come home and get something to eat and then get to the El Camino at 5. I would get to sleep at midnight and start the day again.”
Lucero loves her job. She has her health. And she enjoys coming to work everyday. As far as quitting, she says “I’m going to work until I can’t walk.”
Lucero moved to Socorro in 1965 from Springer.
“I moved here because it was a nicer climate,” she said. “I came back and put in some applications. I did not move here because of Johnny.”
Johnny is her husband of 43 years. They met at the KC Hall and Johnny’s band “The Vibratones” was playing there.
“I met Johnny on Halloween night,” Lucero said. “He had to go ask permission from my aunt to ask me out. She was really strict and she told him you have to be responsible. Nine months later, we got married. On July 23, it will be 44 years.”
The Luceros have a daughter Doreen, who is married to AB Baca Jr. They have two grandsons AB Baca III and Nathaniel and one great granddaughter, Audrianna Rose.
Lucero laughs when she thinks about when she first moved here.
“I didn’t know anybody. I had an uncle and that’s all I knew,” Lucero said. “From there, I met everybody in town. I don’t think there is anybody who doesn’t know me.”

Photo by John Severance.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. return of the migrating ducks, geese and sandhill cranes toแทงบอล
    gclub the Bosque del Apache. For many years, we have been able to take the wonders of this national wildlife refuge almost for granted. We proudly

    ReplyDelete