Thursday, January 7, 2010

January Hits And Misses

Luna News
by Kaye Mindar

I am sitting here listening to Internet radio; I have four pages opened on my computer and I just heard the funniest, most true commercial.
It asked, “Do you check your wall on Facebook or your inbox more now than ever? Even when you see posts from people you didn’t even like in high school? Or more than anyone is even on the computer?”
Oh no! They caught me! It is a commercial to go back to listening to the radio, which mine (by the way) is not hooked up to the computer. It is a separate box hooked to my stereo. I think they are right. January is a good month to get out there and touch someone, although I do have family all over the country and do appreciate the Internet, it does take over my days, and I’m afraid, sometimes my nights.
So when I start college, yes, online classes in 2 weeks, I will have to be strong and focus on one window opened at a time and special times dedicated to the most important tasks and people of each day.
I am off to a good start. I actually danced in the kitchen with my granddaughter. She thought I was crazy at first, but those moments you seldom get a second chance at. January here I come, I will try a whole new happier me in 2010.
Condolences
Our deepest condolences go out to the Richard Gray family at the loss of his father on Sunday. Bill Gray was a frequent summer visitor to Luna and will be missed by many. The family has chosen cremation and a memorial service was held at the L.D.S. Church in Silver City on Thursday at 10 a.m.
Congratulations
Grace Derrick organized a lovely wedding and small reception for Glen and Iva Derrick last Saturday at the Luna Community Center. There were about 30 in attendance and it was a wonderful celebration of a longtime friendship and love.
Alpine Thrift Store
The Alpine Community Thrift store will be having a sale from 9 to 11 a.m. this Saturday. All items will be sold half price and it is a worthy cause. It’s always fun to go “junkin”.
Preparedness Corner
The rule to follow on home preparedness, I am sorry to write, is that we are never finished. We store what we use and we use what we store. Also we must rotate, rotate, rotate. In 2010 our goal is simple and we will alternate with the genealogy corner.
Our theme this year is for preparedness is “Back to Basic”. Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. May we individually and collectively be ever self-reliant.
“This is our heritage and our obligation.” said LDS's Spencer W. Kimball. Preparedness isn’t just about having a well stocked food pantry. It is about being able to stay in control when you find yourself in “out of control situations.” We aren’t trying to be prepared for a specific disaster or crisis. We want to be prepared for any disaster or crisis
Quote of the Week
"There are two seasonal diversions that can ease the bite of any winter. One is the January thaw. The other is the seed catalogues."
~ Hal Borland

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment