Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mountain Mail Welcomes New Editor

By John Larson

SOCORRO – The Mountain Mail welcomes Rebecca Rose as its new editor, as of Monday, Sept. 27.
Rose comes to Socorro from California where she worked with documentary production companies in Los Angeles.
“Documentary filmmaking allowed me to hone my interview skills,” Rose said. “I learned the fine art of asking a question…not just what to ask, but when to ask, how to ask, to learn how to allow a subject to completely tell their story.”
She later relocated to San Diego to work with the military, providing outreach and programs to servicemen and women stationed in San Diego.
“There is probably no more important work in the world than working with the military.” Rose said. “It was eye-opening, to say the least. I was humbled, absolutely.”
She also spent time in Indiana working with an agency that provides services to adults with developmental disabilities.
“Sometimes you have to step away from the label of being someone who writes about life and actually give yourself a chance to experience life,” Rose said.
In 2008 she left to travel “and really focus on being a writer. “It was just something I could never quite shake, how much I missed telling stories,” Rose said. “Living with little more than my car, my dog and my laptop, I wanted to see as much of America as I could.
“I freelanced as a fashion writer and for various film and entertainment websites, including Awards Picks as a film critic, and WetPaint Media, writing celebrity-news items,” she said.
On relocating to Socorro, Rose believes she has found her home.
“I love the outdoors, the desert. This area exemplifies the American West,” she said. “I love hiking with my dog. I love nature. And I think New Mexico is that total package.”
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment