Thursday, May 6, 2010

Warriors Primed For State Tourney

By Nicky Romero

The Socorro boys golf team won the 2010 District 3A High School Tournament on Monday, May 3 at New Mexico Tech. The team is primed and ready for next week's 1A-3A State High School Tournament, which will be played at Tech May 10-11.
District Coach of the Year Russ Moore said, “The Socorro boys did very well today. We're proud of them.”
Besides placing first place in the tourney, Socorro received other numerous awards. Freshmen Willie Schaffer was tourney medalist by shooting a 76 for the day. He was also awarded as the All-District First Team number one golfer.
“I was happy about it,” Schaffer said. I felt that I hit the ball decent. I made a good amount of putts. Everything just kind of went my way. I missed a few putts at the end, but overall I'm glad I played alright. Hopefully, next week we can play good as a team. I know we can all step it up. If we just each play two or three strokes better, we definitely will contend with the better teams in the state.”
Ryan Romero posted an 80 for the second place spot. He received the second place award on the All-District First Team.
Joe Carilli shot an 82 and made the All-District First Team in third place. Randall Romero shot an 84 and made sixth place on the All-District Team. Nathan Vega posted an 89.
The Warriors posted a team total of 322 to win the tourney. Mesilla Valley finished in second place with a 336. Ruidoso shot a 368 for third.
Moore said, “ I'm especially proud of Willie Schaffer. He was our district champion. He played well all year. His body of work this year has been tremendous. He's a freshmen that is playing as good as I can possibly imagine. He's breaking 80 in the last five tournaments. Nobody even close to him today, except Ryan Romero.”
“I'm also proud of Joe Carilli and Randall Romero. Randall has come a long way over the course of the season. I'm really proud of the team as a whole. They have done very well.”
“For the state tournament, we’ve got to do some improving. Lovington, St. Michael's, and Hope Christian are three quality teams. Probably the toughest competition that I've seen in 3A in several years. I like to include our team in that group as well. We really need to improve our team total by about 10 to 15 shots to be competitive. I know that each of our players is capable of doing it. I have high hopes for this team and it also helps to be on your home course.”
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment