Thursday, July 16, 2009

Astronomer Dan Klinglesmith Displays Fiber Art At Chamber


By John Larson
SOCORRO – The fiber art exhibit at the Socorro County Chamber of Commerce this month not only features Navajo-inspired designs, but abstract and night sky images.
All are the creation of full-time astronomer and part-time weaver Dan Klinglesmith.
His wall hangings include traditional geometric patterns, seen most commonly in Navajo designs, but the weaver does limit himself to those shapes.
One wall hanging suggests a stylized stairway, and another is an abstract design over a full-color spectrum gradient.
There also are two long pieces that feature the constellations of the astrological zodiac.
Klinglesmith said he got into weaving while on a retreat at Ghost Ranch in 1989.
“That summer, I took a workshop in Navajo-style weaving, and it caught on,” he said. “Actually, I became interested in the medium about two years before. In 1987, a friend gave me a small loom when I was up working with the Joint Observatory for Cometary Research for the Goddard Space Flight Center.”
Klinglesmith, who is an astronomer at the Magdalena Ridge Observatory, said he has always had an eye for geometric shapes, and he found he could incorporate them into his weaving.
“I really like geometrical designs, and I work with digital images all the time,” he said. “I can draw geometrical designs on the computer and use them in what I want to create.”
“I enjoy creating something that is pleasant to look at. Like the color combinations and the geometry of it,” Klinglesmith said.
He said an example of geometry in art is what is known as the golden rectangle, which has a ratio of about 1:1.618, width to height.
“For some reason, people find this shape pleasant to look at,” Klinglesmith said.
Many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the form of the golden rectangle, which has been considered aesthetically pleasing.
One of his works was entered in a county fair in Maryland, and won Best of Show in Navajo and in weaving.
Locally, this is the second show at the chamber in which Klinglesmith has participated.
“When we moved to Socorro, we were looking for a house, and I told the realtor we needed a ‘one bedroom, five-loom house’,” Klinglesmith said. “It turns out now I have seven.”
He said his biggest loom is 45 inches wide. His biggest Navajo work in 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide.
“It takes hours and hours to make these things,” Klinglesmith said. “When I started, I was heavily into it, but these days, I can only do it on the weekends and in the evening. It’s very relaxing. Plus it keeps my hands busy.”
The 15 fiber art wall hangings will be on display at the Socorro County Chamber of Commerce office through the end of July.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment